>> Home
  français
 


* Refrigerators * Dishwashers * Dryers
* Cooking Products * Washers * Microwaves
Microwaves

1. My touch panel does not operate correctly
2. My microwave runs, but does not heat
3. My turntable isn't turning
4. There is a popping noise or arcing in my microwave
5. My microwave has an odor
6. How do I clean the interior of my microwave
7. How do I change the power level on my microwave
8. How do I set the clock on my microwave
9. How do I replace the oven light in my over-the-range microwave
10. How do I test the performance of my microwave




For safety reasons GE does not offer or recommend "do it yourself" repairs on microwaves. There is a capacitor in the microwave which stores a high voltage charge even after the microwave has been unplugged from the AC/electrical power supply.


1. My touch panel does not operate correctly.
To minimize the possibility of electric shock, unplug this appliance from the power supply before attempting any maintenance or cleaning.
  • Make sure that the microwave is plugged into a grounded outlet. It must be a 3-prong outlet.
  • Make sure that your clock is set.
  • Check to see if a programming sequence was entered. Sometimes improper programming or a program sequence such as delay start can cause the touch panel to be non-responsive. Unplug microwave or turn off house circuit breaker for 30 minutes. Plug back in, or reset circuit breaker, and try reprogramming unit.

    Check the house circuit breaker or fuse box. If the microwave is "Dead"- there is no display and nothing works- the problem could be a blown fuse or tripped breaker.

    If none of these suggestions solves the problem, we would recommend service for the microwave. Contact MC Commercial Inc., by calling 1-888-261-2088, for more information and/or to arrange service.

back to top




2. My microwave runs, but does not heat.
If the microwave runs, but does not heat, it could be one of many parts. We recommend that the microwave be diagnosed/serviced by a qualified service technician. Contact MC Commercial Inc., by calling 1-888-261-2088, for more information and/or to arrange service.

For safety reasons GE does not offer or recommend "do it yourself" repairs on microwaves. There is a capacitor in the microwave which stores a high voltage charge even after the microwave has been unplugged from the AC/electrical power supply.

back to top




3. My turntable isn't turning.
To minimize the possibility of electric shock, unplug this appliance from the power supply before attempting any maintenance or cleaning.
  • Make sure the turntable is centered and seated properly. On models with a stirrer motor there is a shaft protruding up through the floor of the microwave. Make sure the turntable is securely fastened to this shaft. In models that turn on a ring with wheels attached, make sure the turntable is seated securely on the ring.
  • Check the turntable to make sure it is placed right side up. If the turntable plate is upside down it will drag on the floor of the microwave.
  • Finally, be certain you are pressing a "cook" function rather than a "timer" function.

back to top




4. There is a popping noise or arcing in my microwave.
To minimize the possibility of electric shock, unplug this appliance from the power supply before attempting any maintenance or cleaning.
  • Popping sounds are usually caused by the food item being cooked in the microwave. Food items with a higher fat content will pop and sizzle as they cook. Covering the container will reduce this. You may also hear noises when cooking foods with tight membranes such as potatoes. Pierce the skin of potatoes before cooking.
  • Food spills will also cause popping noises. Clean up spills in the microwave as soon as they occur.
  • Operating the microwave empty may also cause popping to occur and can damage the interior. Always have something in the microwave when in use.
  • Arcing in a microwave is caused by using metal or metal-trimmed cooking utensils in the microwave. Check Use and Care Manual to see which models will accept this type of utensil.
  • Check to see if the cooking probe has been left in the microwave. If using the probe, make sure it is properly inserted into the food item. If not properly inserted it can cause arcing and destroy the probe.
  • If using the metal cooking rack, make sure it is firmly in place and not upside down.
  • If the popping noise is electrical or mechanical in sound, contact MC Commercial Inc., by calling 1-888-261-2088, for more information and/or to arrange service.
  • If you see a hole burned through the oven cavity do not use the microwave until service has checked the unit thoroughly.

back to top




5. My microwave has an odor.
To minimize the possibility of electric shock, unplug this appliance from the power supply before attempting any maintenance or cleaning.
For burned food odors:
  • Clean up spatters and spills as they occur. We recommend washing the interior with baking soda, or a non-abrasive detergent, and letting it dry.
  • If the odor persists, we recommend you try one of the following:
    Mix 6 tablespoons of baking soda and one cup of water
    or Mix 1/2 cup of lemon juice and one cup of water.

    Place either solution in a microwave safe dish of appropriate size and heat for 2 to 3 minutes on high power.
  • We also recommend leaving the door open for 2-3 hours when the microwave is not in use to let the microwave "air out."
For "newness" odors in a microwave:
  • First-time usage of a microwave may produce some smoke. This is typically a very small amount and is perfectly normal.
  • On microwave/convection models, dust particles can accumulate on the convection element and burn off when in use producing a small amount of smoke. Once dust has been burned off, the smoke will dissipate.

back to top




6. How do I clean the interior of my microwave?
To minimize the possibility of electric shock, unplug this appliance from the power supply before attempting any maintenance or cleaning.
For interior cleaning:
  • Spills and spatters clean up easily with a damp, soapy paper towel or sponge. It is best to clean soil as soon as it appears. Baking soda and water may also be used.
  • If food is cooked onto the interior, heat one cup of water on full power for three minutes. The heat and steam created will help to soften food. After the three minutes, allow five additional minutes stand time and then clean as usual. Soft Scrub works well for stubborn stains. An all-purpose cleaner containing bleach may also be used for cleaning purposes.
  • Oven Magic may also be used for interior cleaning. You can purchase this part at MC Commercial Inc. Parts Stores. It is Part # (WX10X19).
  • For stainless steel interiors of microwave/convection models we recommend a soap filled scouring ball such as S.O.S. Rubbing gently with an S.O.S. pad will help remove soil.
For door surfaces- both interior and exterior:
  • We recommend you use only mild, non-abrasive soaps, or detergents applied with a sponge, or soft cloth.
For the control panel:
  • Wipe with a soft, damp cloth. Dry immediately with a soft cloth. Do not spray any solution directly onto the controls.

    Important: Commercial Oven Cleaners or abrasive cleaners should never be used on any part of the microwave.

back to top




7. How do I change the power level on my microwave?
  1. Press "Time Cook" or "Micro Cook".
  2. Enter cooking time.
  3. Press "Power Level".
  4. Select a desired power level 1-10 (default is 10).
  5. Press "Start".

    If these instructions do not appear to apply to your model, contact MC Commercial Inc., by calling 1-888-261-2088, for more information.

back to top




8. How do I set the clock on my microwave?
  1. Press "Clock".
  2. Enter the time of day.
  3. Select AM or PM.
  4. Press "Start" or "Clock".

    If these instructions do not appear to apply to your model, contact MC Commercial Inc., by calling 1-888-261-2088, for more information.

back to top




9. How do I replace the oven light in my over-the-range microwave?
To minimize the possibility of electric shock, unplug this appliance from the power supply before attempting any maintenance or cleaning.
To replace the oven light in most models:
  1. Disconnect the power at the main fuse or circuit breaker or pull the plug.
  2. Remove the top grill by taking out the 2 screws that hold it in place.
  3. Remove the screw that secures the light housing. It is located above the door near the center of the oven.
  4. Replace the bulb with a like bulb.
  5. Replace the light housing screw and grill.
  6. Connect the electrical power to the oven.
    If these instructions do not appear to apply to your model, contact MC Commercial Inc., by calling 1-888-261-2088, for more information.

back to top




10. How do I test the performance of my microwave?
  1. Place a glass bowl (preferably a 2qt. Pyrex measuring bowl) with 1qt. of water in the center of the microwave cavity. The water must be 59-75 degrees Fahrenheit (15-24 degrees Celsius).
  2. Heat the water for exactly 2 minutes 30 seconds on High (this is the default setting).
  3. A temperature rise in the range of 28-40 degrees Fahrenheit (15-22 degrees Celsius) indicates that the oven is cooking properly.

back to top






 
         faq | privacy policy | terms and conditions of use     MC Commercial Inc.